Professional in Human Resources— International™
The credential demonstrates mastery of generally accepted
technical and operational HR principles independent of
PHRi™ — The credential demonstrates mastery of generally accepted technical and operational HR principles independent of geographic region.
Is this Certification Right for Me?
Earn international HR acclaim with the Professional in Human Resources - International™ (PHRi™) from HR Certification Institute® (HRCI®). The PHRi (formerly the Human Resources Business Professional™ or HRBP™), for internationally based practitioners, validates professional-level competency, knowledge and skills to help to propel your HR career forward. With the PHRi, you demonstrate mastery of generally accepted technical and operational HR principles in a single international setting.
Am I Eligible?
To be eligible for the PHRi you must meet one of the following conditions for education and experience:
- Have at least one year of experience in a professional-level HR position + a master’s degree or global equivalent,
- Have at least two years of experience in a professional-level HR position + a bachelor’s degree or global equivalent, OR
- Have at least four years of experience in a professional-level HR position + a high school diploma or global equivalent.
What Is the Exam Format & Length?
- Exam time: 3 hours and 15 minutes.
- Exam length: 145 scored questions (mostly multiple-choice) + 25 pretest questions
- Language: English (Spanish Translation Aid only available until January 31, 2018)
- Computer-based exam at a Prometric testing center
What Is Covered?
For those testing before February 1, 2018, review the current PHRi Exam Content Outline for details.
For those testing on or after February 1, 2018, review the revised PHRi Exam Content Outline for details.
How Much Does It Cost?
Exam Fee*: $395 + Application Fee: $100
*Once an exam application is approved, no refunds will be made whether a candidate withdraws or no longer wishes to take the exam.
To make certification more accessible worldwide, HRCI offers a global allowance for the PHRi/SPHRi exam which provides the exam at a reduced fee. Applicants who live in low-income, lower middle-income, and upper middle-income economies as defined on the World Bank Country and Lending Group list will pay a reduced exam fee of $200 USD/ $300 USD.
Package your exam with a selection of preparation materials and insurance at the same time for a lower overall cost
*bundling cannot be done after an exam has already been purchased
When Can I Take the Exam?
Testing for the PHRi is available year-round, subject to test center availability.
How Do I Remain Certified?
Your PHRi certification is valid for three years after testing. To maintain your PHRi credential, you must earn 60 recertification credits over the three-year time span or retake the exam. Learn more about HRCI recertification requirements.